Lake County students showed off their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) capabilities at the Lake County Regional Science and Engineering Fair on February 3, 2107 at The Wesley Center in Clermont. There were 35 judges who volunteered their time to judge the 340 projects from students representing twenty-one elementary schools, ten middle schools, five high schools, three charter schools and four private schools in Lake County. The community came out to support Lake County students for the awards ceremony with over 300 people attending. Lake County Science Fair had $2000 donated from businesses, organizations, and individuals to be given as cash awards to the students.
Best of Show Awards
Best of Show for 3rd grade went to Aaron Lamagna from Grassy Lake Elementary School.
Best of Show for 4th grade went to Kayla Carter from Sawgrass Bay Elementary school.
Best of Show for 5th grade went to DJ Belanoff from Imagine Charter School.
Best of Show for the junior division (middle school) went to Luke Burris from Tavares Middle School.
Best of Show for the senior division (high school) went to Evan Kirby from East Ridge High School.
The high-school and middle-school winners of the 2017 Lake Regional Science and Engineering Fair that will move on to the 62nd Annual State Science and Engineering Fair of Florida on March 28– March 30, 2017 in Lakeland are:
• Luke Burris, Tavares Middle School
• Jordan Keller, Carver Middle School
• Megan Davies, Gray Middle School
• Norah Carpenter, Umatilla Middle School
• Taylor Dailey, Umatilla Middle School
• Marissa Golem, Imagine Charter School
• Evan Kirby, East Ridge High School
• Kofi Blake, Mt. Dora High School
• Cole Kainz, Mt. Dora High School
• Allen Khan, Lake Minneola High School
• Colton Holbrook, Mt. Dora Christian Academy
Lake County Schools would like to thank the following businesses, service organizations, and patrons who donated prizes for this year’s Lake County Regional Science and Engineering Fair:
· Ace Hardware (Apopka, Bronson’s, Mt. Dora, Sorrento, South Leesburg, Tavares, Umatilla)
· American Meteorological Society
· American Psychological Association
· ASM Materials Education Foundation
· Association of Women Geoscientist
· Broadcom Masters National Middle School
· Central Florida Health
· Duke Energy and the Educational Foundation of Lake County
· Florida Association of Science Teachers
· Griffey Engineering
· Harris Chain of Lakes Restoration Council
· Human Resource Services, Lake County Schools
· Intel Excellence in Computer Science
· Kiwanis Club of Leesburg-Sunrise
· Lake Soil and Water Conservation District
· Mu Alpha Theta
· Nadine Foley
· NASA Earth System Science
· National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
· Office of Naval Research
· Ricoh American Corporation
· SECO Energy
· Society for In Vitro Biology
· Stockholm Junior Water Prize
· Sumter Electric Cooperative, Inc.
· United States Air Force
· U.S. Metric Association
· Wade Winker, DDS
· Yale Science & Engineering Assoc. Inc.
If you would be interested in supporting the 2018 Lake Regional Science and Engineering Fair, please contact Julia Delacruz, Science Fair Awards Chairperson, at DeLaCruzj@lake.k12.fl.us