The Lake County School Board unanimously approved the student calendar for the 2013-2014 school year at its regularly scheduled meeting.
The District is required to develop and implement a 180-day student calendar for each school year. In order to comply with the requirement, a committee composed of employee representatives, parents, citizens and administrators developed two options for the 2013-2014 school year.
The options were posted on the School District’s website (www.lakeschools.com). Parents, students, employees and community members were encouraged to review the two calendar options online before selecting their preferred option. The results of the survey revealed nearly 60 percent of online pollsters preferred option one, which the School Board ultimately approved.
The approved 2013-2014 school year calendar includes these notable dates:
· Aug. 19 – First day of school
· Sept. 2 – Labor Day
· Sept. 27 – No school for students (Teacher Professional Development Day)
· Oct. 18 – No school for students (end of first grading period)
· Nov. 11 – Veterans Day
· Nov. 25-29 – Thanksgiving holiday (Monday-Tuesday storm/makeup days)
· Dec. 23-31, Jan. 1-3 – Winter break
· Feb. 17 – Presidents’ Day
· March 24-28 – Spring break
· March 31 – No school for students (teacher workday with third grading period ended March 21)
· April 18 – No school for students (storm/make-up day)
· May 26 – Memorial Day
· June 6 – Last day of school