Dual Enrollment at Lake Technical College
What is dual enrollment? Dual enrollment is an acceleration mechanism available to advanced secondary students that allows eligible public, private and home education high school students to enroll in postsecondary instruction and receive both postsecondary and secondary credit. The intent is to broaden curricular options, increase depth of study options available to students, and shorten the time necessary for completing the requirements for earning a standard high school diploma and a postsecondary certificate. Tuition is waived for dually enrolled students. Enrollment in postsecondary programs is possible on a space-available basis.
Who is eligible to participate in dual enrollment? Students eligible to participate in dual enrollment are those attending a Lake County public high school or a Florida private secondary school, as defined and regulated by State statute (FS1007.271), or those participating in home education programs. All dual enrollment participants must meet the following criteria:
be at least 16 years of age and in the 11th or 12th grade;
have a viable career-technical goal;
have at least a 2.0 unweighted GPA. All high school students must be on track for high school graduation prior to dual enrollment;
have TABE scores within two grade levels of state mandated exit requirements for completion of the selected program; and
have good attendance and discipline records.
What are the steps to enrolling? Based on the type of secondary school they are attending, students follow various steps to enroll in a postsecondary program as a dual enrollment student.
Florida public secondary school – The enrollment steps for Lake County public high school students include:
1. Meet with the high school guidance counselor.
2. Complete the LTC dual enrollment application. The guidance counselor must complete and sign the section on page two, and parents must also sign the application.
3. Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), if applicable, and/or appropriate placement test for program. During the regular school year, testing at the Eustis campus is on Mondays 8 am – 5:30 pm and Wednesdays 8 am – 2 pm. Testing is also available at the Mascotte campus on Tuesdays 8 am – 2 pm and Thursdays 8 am – 5:30 pm, except during the summer. Testing fee for TABE is waived; testing fee for other placement tests is the student’s responsibility. Government issued photo identification is required to test.
4. After testing, meet with a Lake Tech Career Advisor to discuss test results and program interests.
5. Visit the program (or attend a program information session) and meet the instructor.
6. Register for class in Admissions, and pay any applicable fees in the Business Office
7. Prior to beginning the class, order and pay for program workbooks, if applicable, via the Lake Tech bookstore. Students must have required workbooks to begin class. Program textbooks will be on loan to public high school students during dual enrollment.
Are there any fees involved? Tuition for dual enrollment students is waived; fees are the student’s responsibility. Books are provided to students attending public secondary schools. Students attending private schools or home education must purchase books. Fees assessed may include tool deposit, lab kit, insurance, etc. Students may also be required to purchase uniforms. Financial assistance is not available for dual enrollment students.
When can a dual enrollment student begin? Start dates are based on several factors. Space availability and program openings are decisions made by Lake Technical College. Public secondary students should talk to their high school counselor who will work with Lake Tech staff to determine the student’s start date. Private school students and home education students may begin with the approval of the home secondary school or parents, respectively.
What programs are eligible for dual enrollment? The following LTC programs are dual enrollment eligible:
EMT (second semester senior only; 18 years of age)*
Administrative Office Specialist
Fire Fighter (second semester senior only; full time required)*
Air-conditioning, Refrigeration & Heating
Medical Assisting (senior only; 18 years of age by the end of program externship; full time required)
Auto Collision Repair and Refinishing
Medium/Heavy Duty Truck and Bus Tech (Diesel)
Auto Service Technology
Nursing Assistant (Articulated)/ Home Health Aide (CNA/HHA) (senior only; 18 years of age; full time required)
Commercial Foods and Culinary Arts
Patient Care Technician (senior only; 18 years of age; full time required)
Correctional Officer (second semester senior only; full time required day; secondary credit only)
Phlebotomy (18 years of age; evening class)
*High school graduation requirements must have already been met
Lake Technical College Contact Information: Click HERE