Instructional InformationHow to Become Eligible to Be Hired as a Teacher
Certification and Recruitment ContactsBanking of ESOL and Reading Credit
- Complete an approved education program or
- Hold a Florida Educator's Certificate or
- Meet eligibility requirements for a Florida Educator's Certificate
- For more information about obtaining certification,visit the Department of Education's website at http://www.fldoe.org/edcert.
- You must be a citizen of the United States or be legally employable in the United States.
- You must pass a criminal background check and drug test.
- Please have the following information available before you begin the on-line application process
- Dates of College attendance and degree conferred.
- Former employers/principals names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of employment.
- Alien registration number (if applicable).
- Criminal offenses (if applicable). You will need to provide dates, arresting agencies and final disposition.
National Board CertificationA certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) will renew all corresponding areas shown on the Florida Certificate. The NBPTS certificate may be used for renewal, as long as, it is valid during any part of the validity period of the Florida certificate. A photocopy of the valid national certificate submitted with each renewal application shall be acceptable verification. Please provide a copy of your National Board Certificate to the HR Department.
- The 1998 and 2004 Legislatures passed bills that enable individuals who take college credit or inservice points in English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) or teaching of Reading to “bank” the credit for renewal as follows:
- For individuals who hold a Professional Certificate: ESOL or Reading credit or inservice earned in excess of the six (6) semester hours of credit required for renewal may be banked for subsequent validity periods.
- For individuals who hold a Temporary Certificate: ESOL or Reading credit earned during the validity of the Temporary Certificate may be used to renew the first Professional Certificate. The Temporary Certificate and the Professional Certificate must be issued for consecutive school years.
- The ESOL or Reading credit that is banked may not be included within a degree program.