Service Learning/Field Experience Student Approval Process
Service Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful volunteer service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities. Often, colleges will use Service Learning Hours (also known as “field experience or “experiential requirements”) as part of their course requirements. Typically 15-30 hours are required, as opposed to an internship that usually constitutes a record with 100 or more hours.
If you are a college student and you are interested in obtaining service learning hours as part of your course requirements, please follow the instructions for placement in Lake County Schools:
1. Contact your school of choice and ask to speak to the school volunteer coordinator to discuss your interest in participating in service learning.
2. Once you have secured a service learning opportunity, you must complete the Lake County Schools LCS) volunteer application.
3. Visit the LCS volunteer webpage at https://www.lake.k12.fl.us/Page/32538
4. Click on the link to go to the volunteer application page.
5. Create an account and complete the volunteer application.
6. Contact the school volunteer coordinator, at your school of choice, once your application is complete.
7. The school volunteer coordinator will then submit your volunteer application to the district office for background screening.
8. Once the background screening is complete, you will receive email notification of your clearance status.
9. If approved, you may contact the school volunteer coordinator to begin your service learning hours.
If you have any questions about the service learning/field experience approval process you may contact the district volunteer coordinator at 352-253-6536.