LAKE COUNTY SCHOOLS
TEEN PARENT PROGRAM
Education for Teen Parents ProgramLake County School Board
512 South Palm Avenue
Howey-in-the-Hills, FL 34737
The Teenage Parent (TAP) Program is a voluntary student support and assistance program designed to provide a specialized parenting curriculum. The program also coordinates ancillary services to meet the needs of students who are pregnant and students who are mothers or fathers.This program is available to any student who is currently working towards a high school diploma and can document their pregnancy is eligible for this program. Also, currently enrolled parenting mothers and fathers are eligible when they document the birth of their child. In addition, babies of parents who are enrolled in the Education for Teen Parents (ETP) program or have completed the program may participate.Students may earn a half elective credit in each of the following courses:
Health For Expectant Parents
The curriculum includes instruction in such topics are prenatal health, labor and delivery, postnatal health, the benefits of sexual abstinence, and the consequences of repeat pregnancies. Parenting skills include instruction in the stages of child growth and development, methods for aiding in the intellectual, language, physical and social development of children, and guidance on constructive play activities.
The curriculum includes instruction in such topics are prenatal health, labor and delivery, postnatal health, the benefits of sexual abstinence, and the consequences of repeat pregnancies. Parenting skills include instruction in the stages of child growth and development, methods for aiding in the intellectual, language, physical and social development of children, and guidance on constructive play activities.Ancillary services are coordinated by Teen Parent Resource Teachers with parenting students and their eligible children.
Developmentally appropriate child care is provided for eligible children through contracted services with Department of Children and Family Services approved providers.
HEALTH SERVICESPre- and postnatal health care is provided by the Lake County Public Health Department.
SOCIAL SERVICESPersonal and family counseling is available through the school system and the Department of Children and Family Services for eligible students. Other public and private agencies providematerial and support when possible.
Bus transportation is provided for all eligible students and their children. Babies must ride in an approved safety seat provided by the parent.The Education For Teen Parents program embodies the following concepts:
- The continuation of a high school education will increase wage-earning opportunities and therefore directly improve the quality of life.
- The health of pregnant teens and their babies can be greatly improved.
- The preparation for becoming a responsible parent can be significantly enhanced.
- The improved health and school-readiness of the children of these students can be attained through child care in a safe, healthy, and stimulating environment.
Teen Parent Teachers:
- The prevention of a repeat pregnancy during the teen years can positively affect the lives of parents and children and will reduce the drain on welfare programs.
- Help students cope with being pregnant and becoming a parent.
- Encourage and support academic achievement and school attendance.
- Help coordinate social and health services for family.
- Coordinate transportation and day care for infants, toddlers and preschoolers.
- Deliver the parenting curriculum.
Lake County Teen Parent Resource Teachers
Anna Oliphant -- 352-551-0434
- East Ridge Middle School
- Clermont Middle School
- Gray Middle School
- Windy Hill Middle School
- East Ridge High School
- Lake Minneola High School
- South Lake High School
Leah Moyer -- 352-551-0882
- Carver Middle School
- Mount Dora Middle School
- Oak Park Middle School
- Tavares Middle School
- Leesburg High School
- Mount Dora High School
- Tavares High School
Jennifer Howell -- 352-602-8129
- Eustis Middle School
- Umatilla Middle School
- Alee Academy
- Eustis High School - Curtright
- Umatilla High School
Click link below for printable pamphletTeen Parent Pamphlet