Florida educators must be certified to teach in our public schools. Educators include classroom teachers, school administrators, and other support professionals, such as guidance counselors and media specialists.
View our flowchart on the path to Start Your Teaching Journey.https://create.piktochart.com/output/25200944-path-to-cert
- Am I Eligible?
- Apply for a Certificate
- Statement of Eligibility Reqs
- Pathways to Upgrade
- Apply for Upgrade
To become eligible for a temporary certificate you must have one of the following:
- Bachelor's degree in an area that aligns directly with a certification area
|Certification Area||Acceptable Degree Major|
|Elementary Ed K-6||Elementary Ed|
|Math 5-9 or 6-12||Mathematics, Statistics|
|English 5-9 or 6-12||English, Creative Writing|
|Social Science 5-9 or 6-12||Psychology, Sociology, Economics, History|
|Business Ed 6-12||Business Ed, Business Admin|
- Bachelor's degree in any area AND pass any FTCE Subject Area Exam
All Florida assessments are administered under the FTCE or the FELE programs and are required by Florida law. Out of state exams, such as Praxis, will not be accepted. For more information on subject area exams, or to sign up for an exam, please visit: www.fl.nesinc.com
Click on the following link to obtain the steps to apply for a Florida educator certificate.
FLDOE Online Licensing Service Site
A completed application package will include:
- Application for Certification
- Application fee - $75 per subject
- Official Transcripts showing bachelor's degree or higher has been awarded
To obtain a Statement of Eligibility (SOE), you will need to submit an application and fee to the FLDOE as well as provide official transcripts showing a bachelor's degree or higher has been awarded. The FLDOE will review and provide you with an SOE. The SOE will contain a customized list of the remaining requirements you must complete to be issued a Professional Certificate. Below is the list of all requirements that will need to be satisfied.
- General Knowledge Test*
- Professional Education Test
- Subject Area Exam/Mastery
- Professional Education Competency
- Professional Preparation Coursework - 15 semester hours
- Classroom Management
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Educational Assessment
- Instructional Techniques/Strategies
*New update* Effective July 1, 2021, completion of a master’s degree or higher from an accredited postsecondary institution recognized by the Department of Education will satisfy the General Knowledge Test requirement. Official transcripts showing the conferred master's or higher degree will need to be provided to the FLDOE prior to applying to upgrade from a temporary to professional certificate.
Florida offers a number of traditional and alternative educator preparation routes that lead to full Professional certification. Some routes are direct pathways to the Professional Certificate. For other routes, the individual first teaches under a Temporary Certificate and then moves to the Professional Certificate.
An educator who has been teaching under a Temporary Certificate can move to the Professional Certificate with one of these pathways:
PDCP: Florida approved Professional Development Certification Program and Passing Florida Certification Examinations.
- EPI: Professional Preparation College Courses, Teaching Experience, Demonstration of Professional Education Competence in the Classroom, and Passing Florida Certification Examinations
- On Your Own: College Professional Training Option, Teaching Experience, Demonstration of Professional Education Competence in the Classroom, and Passing Florida Certification Examinations
lead to full Professional certification.
Once you have completed all requirements listed on your Statement of Eligibility, you will be able to submit the 'Upgrade to Professional Certificate' application to move from a Temporary Certificate to a Professional Certificate.
Steps to Upgrade to a Professional Certificate
Submit official transcripts for any additional college coursework you have completed.
Login to the FLDOE VERSA system by clicking on the following link.
- Complete the online Upgrade to Professional Certificate application. You will locate the application under 'Manage My License'
- Include ALL certification AREAS and ENDORSEMENTS on the application that you wish to have listed on the Professional Certificate.
- Add any *new* areas or endorsements that you are requesting to ADD to your certificate.
- List your teaching experience on the application.
- The application fee is $75. If you are adding any additional areas or endorsement, you will be asked to pay an additional $75 for each *new* area or endorsement.
A: You will need to have a bachelor's degree in an area matching a certification area OR have a bachelor's degree and pass ANY FTCE subject area exam.
A: A temporary certificate is issued for three (3) school years.
A: You will need to submit an application and fee to the FLDOE as well as provide official transcripts showing a bachelor's degree or higher has been awarded. Click here to apply online.
A: YES! You may begin to apply for teaching positions within our District. Once hired and cleared for employment, the District will request issuance of the Temporary Certificate.
A: NO. You must have a bachelor's degree in an appropriate area OR have a bachelor's degree AND pass a subject area exam to become eligible. The GKT is not a subject area exam.