Lake County School District, in partnership with the Lake County Board of County Commissioners, offers *scholarships to eligible high school students for Behind-the-Wheel (BTW) Driving Instruction classes. Please note that the BTW Program is an extension of the school day.
*Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and are not based on financial need.
Student Eligibility Criteria:
- Student must be a resident of Lake County.
- Student must be currently registered in a Lake County Public, Private, Virtual High School or be registered as a Home School student.
- Student must be in good standing with their school (see registration form for more info).
- Student must possess a Driver Learner's license.
- Have proof of current automobile insurance.
Program features include:
- Students participating in the BTW program will receive 10 hours of actual behind-the-wheel driving instruction and 10-20 hours of driving observation. Students are assigned to classes of three student participants.
- Classes originate from a Lake County Public High School or the Student Services Building located in Howey-in-the-Hills.
- Classes are composed of two (2) or three (3) students and a BTW instructor.
- Classes are held on weekday afternoons, Saturdays and during selected school breaks.
- BTW instructors are teachers who work in Lake County and are certified by the State to provide driving instruction.
- Vehicles used for Behind-the-Wheel driving classes are clearly marked “Student Driver” and have an additional brake for the instructor.
For more information, please contact your child's school Behind-the-Wheel Instructor.