Behind the Wheel
The Lake County School Board, in partnership with the Lake County Board of County Commissioners, plans to again offer scholarships for Behind-the-Wheel Driving classes to eligible Lake County high school students.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be a resident of Lake County
- Currently attend high school or be a registered home school student
- Have proof of automobile insurance and possess a valid Florida learner license at least one week prior to the first day of class.
Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and are not based on financial need.
2022-23 REGISTRATION FORM (COMING SOON)
Program features include:
- Students participating in the BTW program will receive 10 hours of actual behind-the-wheel driving instruction and 10-20 hours of driving observation. Students are assigned to classes of three student participants.
- Classes originate from a Lake County Public High School or the Choice and Alternative Education office in Howey-in-the-Hills.
- Classes are composed of three (3) students and a BTW instructor, and are held on weekday afternoons, Saturdays and during selected school breaks.
- BTW instructors are teachers who work in Lake County and are certified by the State to provide driving instruction.
- Vehicles used for Behind-the-Wheel driving classes are clearly marked “Student Driver” and have an additional brake for the instructor.
For more information, please call (352) 253-6778.