Red Ribbon Week
Lake County Schools will be celebrating Red Ribbon Week during the week of October 23-31. The Red Ribbon Campaign, sponsored by National Family Partnership (www.redribbon.org), is the oldest and largest drug prevention program in the nation reaching millions of young people during Red Ribbon Week. The theme for Lake County Schools this year is "Celebrate Life. Live Drug Free." in support of our emphasis on the physical, social, and legal impact illegal drug use has on people's lives.
The purpose of Red Ribbon Week is to present a visible commitment to living a safe, healthy, and drug-like life. The campaign is designed to create awareness concerning the problems related to the use of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs and to support the decision to live a drug-free lifestyle.
- Red Ribbon Narrative - Read about how the Red Ribbon campaign started!
- National Red Ribbon Photo Contest - Contest is sponsored by National Family Partnership. Students can win an iPad for their family and $1,000 for their (K-12) school! Use this Red Ribbon Week Photo Contest link to obtain more information and guidelines for the photo contest. Timeframe for submitting your entry is from October 1 to November 1, 2022.
- Red Ribbon Theme Contest - send in ideas for next year's Red Ribbon Week Theme for a chance to win $500 in Red Ribbon Theme Merchandise. More information is available at www.redribbon.org//theme/contest. Entries must be received by December 4, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
- Listed below are activities/ideas community leaders can incorporate into the planning of Red Ribbon Week:
- Host a Wear Red Day! Inform everyone in your organization to wear red on this day.
- Ask people to tie Red Ribbons on their cars in the parking lot and trees to show support of Red Ribbon Week or display Red Ribbons as a symbol of intolerance towards the use of drugs to create a Drug-Free America.
- Collect canned goods and give each person an "I CAN make a difference" sticker or other reward. Your organization can donate the cans to a local relief effort.
- Invite parents and families to an educational program on the effects of drugs on the brain. Invite law enforcement to speak on alcohol and other drug use and the legal effects.
- Listed below are website links that may be helpful in your planning efforts:
- drugabuse.gov/parents-educators - a link to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) website providing information for parents and educators.
- redribbon.org/downloads - a link to the National Family Partnership website. From this link parents and community can download various resources to support Red Ribbon Week. Resources on this site include the following:
- Red Ribbon Parent/School Planning Guide
- Fact Sheet
- Coloring Pages
- Photo Contest Details and Submission
- The Kiki Camarena Story in Spanish and English
- Campaign Logo, Virtual Backgrounds, Themed Web Banners
- Morning Announcements
NOTE: Most links on this page are to an outside website and are not overseen by Lake County Schools.