This course is one of three (3) required courses for State Of Florida Athletic Coaching Endorsement.
General Objective: To provide athletic coaches with knowledge in coaching skills and techniques, sport management skills, psychology of coaching , legal aspects, as well as state and local rules and regulations. All for the purpose of helping improve coaching effectiveness.
Specific Objectives: Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a basic knowledge of various coaching techniques.
2. Demonstrate a variety of communication styles.
3. Explain how nutrition and proper diet affects sports performance.
4. Discuss the importance of stress management, rest and recovery to athletic performance.
5. Describe three principles for effective team management.
6. Describe three methods for displaying sportsmanship related to athletes, colleagues, officials, spectators, and parents.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in understanding tort liability in athletics, especially knowledge of adequate care and understanding of proper supervision.
8. Identify minimum necessary athletic insurance coverage.
9. Demonstrate awareness of their school’s policy for clearing athletes to participate.
10. Recognize and adhere to appropriate state and local policies and procedures governing athletic participation.
11. Understand contractual law as it applies to athletic coaching.
12. Be cognizant of appropriate coach/athlete interpersonal relationships.
13. Be aware of legal precedents and actions in athletic coaching, including sexual misconduct, sexual harassment, and assault/battery.
14. Demonstrate ability to recognize and take appropriate action relative to problems among student athletes such as deficient academics, inappropriate behaviors, appropriate corrective measures, inappropriate behaviors or potential problems occurring outside the athletic context.
15. Identify appropriate techniques for use in monitoring emotional self-control in all athletic coaching situations.
16. Understand skills in effective interpersonal communication with athletes, parents, other coaches, officials, administrators, members of the school community, the media, and the public at large.
17. Understand managerial skills in use of equipment, facilities, and the deployment of personnel.
18. Develop budget control skills.
19. Demonstrate ethical behaviors and decision-making in relations with others.
20. Demonstrate knowledge of sound instructional strategies in athletic coaching, including philosophy of program (goals and objectives), initial pre-assessment, instructional approaches, and evaluation of program effectiveness.
Instructional Activities: This course will be taught through a combination of in-class instruction and activities as well as on-line instruction through ASEP.
Evaluation: The instructor will determine a satisfactory completion of the course requirements based on participatory and follow-up activities. Participants must complete assigned activities.