Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s),
It is a pleasure to have your child in Biology this year. This class will provide an opportunity for students to learn about the study of life and to enhance their skills to be successful. To increase their hands-on knowledge, there are a wide variety of living organisms present in the classroom. Please be aware of any allergies and contact me accordingly.
We will be doing labs during the course of the class and students are required to wear closed-toe shoes and goggles due to safety codes. If they do not, they will have to sit in another teacher’s room for the class and receive a zero for the lab. Since the school doesn’t provide disposable gloves, students are permitted to bring in gloves to wear, although gloves are not necessary for safety’s sake.
A structured class environment will be maintained to allow each student an opportunity to achieve the highest level of performance possible. Instructional tools will include lecture, handouts, power points, labs, group activities, homework assignments, audio-visual mediums, discussion of current events, and evaluations.
In the student’s letter, I have given your child several suggestions for success this school year. I would also like for you to be fully involved from the start. The following are ways in which you can help me guarantee your child’s succeeds to his or her fullest potential.
1. During the semester, you can help by monitoring your child’s progress by checking his/her notebook frequently, by encouraging 100% attendance, by reminding him/her to get make-up work upon returning from an absence, by asking to see the projects and assignments given in class, and by visiting our class website found under the tab “Teachers” and “Crawford” at www.lake.k12.fl.us/erh to stay updated and informed.
2. Progress reports are handed out every 4 1/2 weeks. Please look over these carefully so that we can discuss any problems as they arise, rather than waiting until the end of the term. You can check student grades DAILY online using eSembler at https://grades.lake.k12.fl.us/default.asp (click on the new account link or sign-in).
3. Your child has been given a syllabus which explains the details of my course such as grading scale, materials required, and other policies. I would like you to read and sign the syllabus so you are aware of my expectations for your child. Hopefully, this will answer questions you may have about the course.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to working with your child in the upcoming weeks and to your participation.
I am excited about your active participation in our Biology course. This academic course will offer you the opportunity to study, in-depth, the branch of science which deals with living systems. I know that the experience of this course will be rewarding for you in a number of ways if you are willing to put sufficient time and effort into the work.
In order for you to be successful, you should keep in mind the following:
1. Come to class each day, on time, with the necessary materials such as paper, pens, pencils, and your notebook. Be prepared to participate 100% on all assignments and questions posed.
2. Please take your time with each assignment in order to make sure it is your BEST effort. I expect quality work (not quantity) from each of my students. Check our class website daily for power point slideshows, assignments, due dates, and all other class information.
3. If you are having problems, please speak with me as soon as possible. Do not wait until the end of the grading period. Check eSembler frequently to remain informed about your current progress.
4. Take responsibility of your own education. Self-discipline and time management are the keys to high achievement in the classroom and I want you to do well.
5. You will excel in this course and you can receive an “A”.
I am looking forward to an exciting year.
Ms LandContact Information