Second Grade 2018-2019
I want to welcome you to the Second Grade. I am planning an exceptional year for all of us. This year we will be meeting and overcoming many challenges, however, with cooperation on all our parts, I am sure we will all succeed. I will do everything possible to prepare your child to achieve academic success.
I encourage you to be involved in your child’s education in any way possible. The key is communication. Please feel free to call me at school (352) 394-6633, write a note, or e-mail me whenever necessary. I will also be happy to schedule a conference if we deem it necessary. I check my e-mails several times through-out the day and will respond to you as soon as possible. Please keep in mind my primary concern is your child, not my e-mail. For security and confidentiality reasons, I will not use your child’s name in an e-mail, nor will I give out any pertinent information through this means of communication. I send out a weekly newsletter through email and in students’ weekly folders to keep you informed of what we are doing in class. You may find the same information on my web page at www.cypressridge.org, the school website.
(Mon. Tues. Thurs. & Fri.) (Wed.)
8:25-8:30 Morning Procedures 8:25-8:30 Morning Procedures
8:30-9:15 Grammar/Writing 8:30-9:15 Grammar/Writing
9:15-10:45 Reading 9:15-10:45 Reading
10:50-11:20 Lunch 10:50-11:20 Lunch
11:20-11:40 Recess 11:20-11:40 Recess
11:40-1:20 Math 11:40-1:30 Math
1:20-2:05 Enrichment 1:30-2:00 Science
2:05-2:35 Science/Social Studies 2:00 Dismissal
2:35-3:05 Science/Social Studies
(PE/w teacher Mon. & Turs.)
Recess Time 11:20-11:40
This is right after lunch so this is a great time to do birthday celebrations, as it would not take away from any academic time. If you would like to cerebrate your child's special day during this time please let me know in advance so I can prepare in advance.
On a daily basis students are expected to:
- Study spelling words
- Study vocabulary words
- Practice math fact fluency
- Read at least 20 minutes
- Math lesson & homework page will be sent home daily as lessons are completed for extra at home practice when necessary. They do not need to be returned.
I’d like to explain my behavior system. I believe 2nd Graders should be held accountable for their actions and rewarded for good behavior. There will be reinforcement for appropriate behavior, as well as consequences for inappropriate behavior.
The school is implementing the PBS (Positive Behavior Support) system. The students will receive tickets for positive behavior. The tickets will be kept in class. Tickets will be used to purchase rewards throughout the year.
- Poor decision-making = verbal warning – move clip
- Continuation of poor decision making after warning = loss of privilege
- If the behavior is not corrected then a note will be sent home in the agenda or a phone call to the parent/guardian will be made
- If the behavior persists the child will be sent to the office with a behavior report. If your child receives three behavior reports, they will be given a referral and the parent/guardian will be notified.
There are some infractions that require an immediate referral. Please view the Student Code of Conduct for Level 2 infractions.
Student Code of Conduct
Please review the Student Code of Conduct book that was sent home with your child either at “Meet the Teacher” or the first day of school. There have been several changes made since last year. Please pay special attention to page iii. The internet and picture options are only to be signed if you DO NOT want your students to be photographed or use the internet. Please keep your booklet handy so you can refer to it if any issues may arise. I will be reviewing the Code of Conduct in class with the children the first week of school.
Agendas are a great means of communication. Your child will write their homework in their agendas daily. Please sign the agenda nightly. After the first week of school, your child will be held accountable for parent signatures. Thank you in advance for your help with this.
Each Monday a clear folder will be sent home with graded papers in all the subject areas and other important papers. Please review all papers with your child on Monday and sign and date the front of the folder. Folders must be signed and returned by Wednesday.
Accelerated Reader (AR)
During the first week of school your child will be tested to determine their AR goal and level. I will attach a label to the front of your child’s agenda with this information on it. There are four goals to be met through-out the year allowing your child to receive the AR certificate. Your child’s reading level is based on second grade material. If a child scores above a second grade level this doesn’t mean they are ready for upper grade materials.
We have a water fountain in the classroom however it often does not work well. Please have your child bring in a spill-proof type water bottle which they can keep at their desks. It would be a shame to ruin their work by an accidental spill. Water bottles will not be allowed at PE. Mrs. Parks allows the students to take water breaks during her instruction.
- Money should be in an envelope labeled with your child's name and what the money is for. The school will not be accepting personal checks for payment this year for field trips or donations. Personal checks will be accepted for ELC payments and to fund cafeteria accounts.
- Parents and visitors must check inat the office before coming to the classroom. You must have an updated volunteer form filled out to be on campus.
- If you would like to chaperone a field trip or school activity, you must have appropriate paperwork filed with the front office in advance. Returning parents need to fill out an update. Please be aware this paperwork must be done at least a month prior to the event.
- Please check your child’s agenda nightly to assure you see homework assignments or notes from me. The assignments may change from what I place on the website.
I know this is a lot of information but I like to keep you informed. I look forward to a great year!