For stakeholders interested in supporting Lake County Schools' Legislative Priorities by contacting state legislators, here are some helpful tips for Effective Communication with Your Representative.
Lake County Schools urges the Florida Legislature to:
- Provide equitable and sustainable funds to meet the educational needs of Florida's public school students.
- Eliminate bonus programs and redirect funds to the Base Student Allocation giving districts the flexibility they need to make sure that staff -- professional and all instructional personnel -- receive the pay increases they deserve, helping Lake County remain competitive in our efforts to recruit and retain truly the best and brightest employees for our children.
- Increase the total funds compression to bring Lake County up to 100 percent of the state average, and make the appropriation a permanent part of the Florida Education Funding Program.
- Increase weighted funding for Career and Technical Education and Advanced Placement Capstone courses that are essential for college and career readiness.
- Restore the authority of school districts, whose school taxable value is less than state average, to levy by simple majority vote, up to 2.0 mills for capital purposes.
- Provide greater access to Career and Technical Education programs to meet local workforce demands.
- Petition Career Source Florida to consider the state exam (General Knowledge Exam) for the Principles of Teaching Career Pathway, as there are currently no exams on the CAPE Industry Certification Funding List that support this pathway.
- Additional Lake County Schools Priorities:
- Research the effectiveness of mandatory third-grade retention on improving reading performance, as well as the impact of student retention on long-term academic success.
- Study the effectiveness of Florida's requirement that teachers who provide reading interventions under a school district's K-12 comprehensive reading plan be certified or endorsed in reading. Further, examine the impact of the required training on improving teacher performance as compared to district coaching and support programs that exist to provide relevant training on successful intervention programs and strategies.