Student Services DepartmentHome Education
Evelyn Diaz - Home School Contact512 South Palm Ave.Howey-in-the-Hills, Fl 34737Diaze@lake.k12.fl.us
Phone # (352) 742-6951FAX # (352) 742-6921Included on this page are copies of state and district requirements for home education families. Also included is a copy of questions with answers of the most common questions about Florida's home education law. This information is intended to give home educating families basic requirements regarding curriculum, materials, instructional time, and student evaluations.State law defines a home education program as "sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his or her parent or guardian in order to satisfy the requirements of state statute". This wording allows for a great deal of flexibility in choosing the learning environment of home school students.With the aid of technology, correspondence courses, and private sector curriculum; parents are able to access educational materials and guidance for their home education program. The school board does not provide or recommend materials or curriculum for families.What are my legal responsibilities as a home schooling parent or guardian?
Home School Registration
As parent or guardian you must:
- Send a notice of intent to the Superintendent of Schools or designee by completing the Lake County home education registration form.
- Maintain a portfolio of educational records.
- Make the portfolio available for review by the Superintendent upon a 15-day notice.
If you are registering for the 2018-2019 school year please submit your form to our office
after May 24, 2018
If you are planning to return to your high school in the fall, there is no need to enroll in Home Education if you are wanting to take virtual classes over the summer. Please contact your school counselor for more information.
- A student enrolled in a home education program must be evaluated once a year to demonstrate educational progress at a level equivalent to his/her abilities. The parent/guardian selects the method of evaluation from those provided in Florida Statute, then files a copy of the evaluation annually in the superintendent or designee’s office.
These reports are to be sent to:
Lake County Schools Student Services
512 South Palm Ave.
Howey-in-the-Hills, FL 34737
- Retain the educational portfolio for two years.
- Submit a letter of termination upon completion of the home education program or a change of residence.