Educational Foundation receives $28,000 grant from Duke Energy
LEESBURG – The Educational Foundation of Lake County received a $28,000 STEM grant from the Duke Energy Foundation to provide funds for STEM projects in Lake County Schools.
“The Duke Energy Foundation has been a tremendous supporter of Lake County Schools,” said Carman Cullen-Batt, Executive Director, Educational Foundation. These dollars will support seven STEM programs in our schools and provide opportunities that would not be possible.
These seven programs are:
- A Hydroponic Garden Project; Clermont Middle School, Marisol O’Neill
- Wild About Science, Fruitland Park Elementary, Alia Perrone
- Growing it Green, Leesburg High School, Tessa Clark
- Lake Tech’s Markerspace, Lake Technical College, Laurie Bryant
- Engineering Principals, Mount Dora Middle School, Clyde Grant
- Wee Smart Play, Sorrento Elementary School, Fiorella Cleversey
- Autodesk Inventor Certified User Coursework, Tavares Middle School, Christopher Crosby
“Supporting educational initiatives is an integral mission of the Duke Energy Foundation,” said Harry Sideris, Duke Energy Florida president. “These grants support vital STEM-focused programs in local schools, which in turn prepare our students to become community leaders as future scientists, teachers, engineers and other professionals."
The Duke Energy Foundation provides philanthropic support to address the needs of the communities where its customers live and work. The foundation provides more than $30 million annually in charitable gifts. The foundation’s education focus spans kindergarten to career, particularly science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), early childhood literacy and workforce development. It also supports the environment and community impact initiatives, including arts and culture.
The Educational Foundation is a non-for-profit organization that is the direct support organization for Lake County Public Schools. Our mission is to serve as the connection between our community and public education, evaluating needs and securing resources to enhance the quality of education.