23 Lake County schools earn state award for volunteer work
23 Lake County Schools received the Golden School Award from the Florida Department of Education. The Lake County Schools.
The shchools are:
1. Astatula Elemetnary School
2. Beverly Shores Elementary School
3. Cypress Ridge Elementary School
4. Eustis Heights Elementary School
5. Fruitland Park Elementary School
6. Grassy Lake Elementary SChool
7. Groveland Elementary School
8. Imagine South Lake Charter
9. Leesburg Elementary School
10. Lost Lake Elementary School
11. Mascotte Elementary Charter
12. Minneola Elementary Charter
13. Mt. Dora High
14. Pine Ridge Elementary School
15. Rimes Early Learning & Literacy Center
16. Sawgrass Bay Elementary School
17. Seminole Springs Elemetnary School
18. Sorrento Elemetnary School
19. Tavares Elemetnary School
20. Treadway Elementary School
21. Triangle Elemetnary School
22. Umatilla Elementary School
23. Villages Elementary School
Per the Florida Department of Education’s official website, the Golden School Award recognizes schools that meet the following criteria:
1. A minimum of 80 percent of the school staff participated in training related to school volunteerism.
2. A school volunteer coordinator is designated for recruitment, placement, training and supervision of school volunteers.
3. The total number of hours of volunteer service equals twice the number of students enrolled in the school. Any volunteer activity that contributes to student improvement may be counted.
Schools were instructed to apply for the Golden School Award or the Silver School Award via a nomination form provided by the Department of Education by March 1 of this year. Schools that met the above criteria were recognized with the Golden School Award.
Mount Dora High School is the only Lake County High School to be nominated this year. Dr. Catherine Slack, Assistant Principal at Mount Dora High School, submitted the nomination forms through the Educational Foundation of Lake County Schools. Slack said they are very excited to have received such recognition. “The results indicate that our beloved students and parents are very active in not just the school, but the community."