Board to consider 7 candidates for Superintendent role
The Lake County School Board has agreed to consider seven candidates to replace Superintendent Susan Moxley, Ed.D., whose contract expires in July 17. They could have a final decision before the end of the month.
In a special meeting held Dec. 5, board members approved the list of five candidates recommended by the Superintendent Search Advisory Committee and added two more. New to the list are:
- Brennan Asplen III, Ed.D. – Deputy Superintendent for Academic and Student Services, St. Johns County School District in Florida.
- Verna Ruffin, Ed.D. – Superintendent, Jackson-Madison County Schools in Tennessee.
They join the following five recommended by the committee:
- Arthur “Rob” Anderson, Ed.D. – Deputy Superintendent of Academics, Fulton County Schools in Georgia.
- Diane Kornegay – Deputy Superintendent, School District of Clay County in Florida
- Mark Mullins, Ed.D. – Deputy Superintendent/ Chief Operating Officer at Brevard County Public Schools in Florida
- Quintin Shepherd, Ph.D. – Superintendent, Linn-Mar Community School District in Iowa
- Gerald “Jerry” Wilson, Ph.D. – Superintendent, Worcester County Public Schools in Maryland.
The first round of interviews will take place the morning of Dec. 13. Board members will meet individually with candidates starting at 9:30 a.m. at the district office, 201 W. Burleigh Blvd., Tavares. Then, at 6 p.m., the candidates will attend a Special School Board Meeting at the Lake County Administration Building, 315 W. Main Street, Tavares.
The next day, Dec. 14, the board will meet at 9:30 a.m. at the district office to narrow the list and identify the finalists.
The finalists will be invited back to Lake the following week for another round of interviews and public meetings. The board is expected to reach a final decision on Dec. 22.